By the end of the week, any bananas left in the fruit bowl are past their prime—just right for these moist bran muffins. Add a handful of dark chocolate chips to entice children to enjoy a fiber-rich treat.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray
- Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in bananas, buttermilk, wheat bran, oil and vanilla.
- Whisk whole wheat flower, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with s rubber spatula until combined
- If using, Stir in the chocolate chips (optional). Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with walnuts (optional)
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly. 15-25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Per serving: 200 calories; 6 g fat(1 g sat); 4 g fiber; 34 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 40 mcg folate; 32 mg cholesterol; 15 g sugars; 11 g added sugars; 69 IU vitamin A; 2 mg vitamin C; 83 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 217 mg sodium; 232 mg potassium