- 1½ pounds 95% lean ground beef
- 3 cups coarsely chopped carrots, sliced celery, chopped onions and/or chopped sweet peppers
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup 50%-less-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or crushed red pepper
- Sliced green onion, chopped onion, snipped fresh parsley, snipped fresh cilantro, chopped tomato and/or plain fat-free Greek yogurt (optional)
- Chili powder or ground cumin (optional)
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, cook ground beef, vegetables and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat until meat is brown and vegetables are tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Stir beans, the canned tomatoes, the tomato sauce, broth, the 2 tablespoons chili powder, the oregano and black pepper into mixture in Dutch oven.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle chili into bowls. If desired, serve with sliced green onion, additional onion, parsley, cilantro, fresh tomato and/or yogurt. If desired, sprinkle with additional chili powder or ground cumin.
- Pork Chili: Prepare Black Bean Chili as directed, except substitute 1½ pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into ¾-inch pieces, for the ground beef. Use one 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce instead of the 15-ounce can tomato sauce and add 1 cup barbecue sauce (choose a lower-sodium barbecue sauce). Simmer 1½ hours. Nutrition analysis per serving: 319 calories, 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 18 g total sugar, 23 g protein. 75% Vitamin A, 20% Vitamin C, 12% calcium, 22% iron. Exchanges: 2½ lean protein, 2 vegetables, 1 fat, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 starch.
- Vegetarian Chili: Prepare Black Bean Chili as directed, except omit the meat and use three 15-ounce cans no-salt-added black, pinto, garbanzo (chickpeas), cannellini (white kidney), and/or red beans in place of the 2 cans black beans. Substitute low-sodium organic vegetable broth (such as Pacific Foods brand) for the beef broth. Add 1½ cups peeled sweet potato chunks with the beans. Nutrition analysis per serving: 209 calories, 2 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 421 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 9 g total sugar, 11 g protein. 147% Vitamin A, 25% Vitamin C, 13% calcium, 20% iron. Exchanges: 2 vegetables, 1½ starch, ½ fat, ½ lean protein.
- White Chili: Prepare Black Bean Chili as directed, except substitute uncooked ground turkey breast for the ground beef; substitute cannellini beans (white kidney beans) for the black beans; and omit the tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, and chili powder. Add 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, 1 cup salsa verde (choose a low-sodium brand), and one 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained. Substitute ground cumin for the oregano. Nutrition analysis per serving: 222 calories, 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 609 mg sodium, 20 g 5 g fiber, 4 g total sugar, 28 g protein. 53% Vitamin A, 12% Vitamin C, 6% calcium, 15% iron. Exchanges: 3 lean protein, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
- Mexican Chili: Prepare Black Bean Chili as directed, except use 1½ cups fresh poblano chile pepper strips and ½ cup chopped onion in place of the 3 cups vegetables. Add 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 2 canned chipotle chile peppers in adodo sauce, finely chopped, with the oregano. Stir in ⅓ cup snipped fresh cilantro and ¼ cup lime juice before serving. Nutrition analysis per serving: 273 calories, 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 511 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 8 g total sugar, 27 g protein. 32% Vitamin A, 139% Vitamin C, 10% calcium, 29% iron. Exchanges: 3 lean protein, 2 vegetables, 1 starch, ½ fat.
- Serving size: 1 to 1½ cups
- Per serving: 267 calories; 6 g fat(2 g sat); 9 g fiber; 27 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 22 mcg folate; 53 mg cholesterol; 8 g sugars; 3,826 IU vitamin A; 14 mg vitamin C; 104 mg calcium; 5 mg iron; 490 mg sodium; 840 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (77% daily value), Iron (28% dv), Vitamin C (23% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 3 lean protein, 2 vegetables, 1 starch