Trying to ditch the wheat, gluten and carbs… but still craving something sweet? We’ve got you covered! When it comes to the low-carb lifestyle, we generally try and steer clear of the underground veggies (or at least limit their intake) due to their higher carb content. Luckily, this recipe has been adapted so that a little veg goes a long way – you’ll have all the carrot taste without all the carbs.
Ingredients for 16 Servings
- 2 tbsp butter, at room temperature, plus
- 1⁄2 cup melted
- 5 tbsp xylitol
- 4 free-range eggs
- 11⁄2 cups almond flour 3⁄4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder 1⁄4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup grated pumpkin 1 cup grated yellow patty pans
- 7 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 160g cream cheese
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp xylitol
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- For the cakes (makes two), use an electric mixer to cream the room- temperature butter and xylitol together. Add the eggs and melted butter and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, ginger and pecans together. Pour in the egg mixture and add the grated veggies, then fold gently into the dry ingredients. Don’t overmix.
- Divide the batter between two buttered loaf tins and bake for 30 minutes or until the cakes are fairly browned and firm to the touch. Allow to cool in the tin, then turn out.
- For the icing, use an electric mixer to blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Spread over the carrot cakes. Each cake will yield about eight slices.
Nutrition Information (per 95g serving)
212kJ, 25g fat (11g sat), 13g carbs, 90mg sodium, 4g fibre, 6g protein