Prep Time-15 Mins
Total Time-45 Mins
• 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
• 2 large eggs, at room temperature
• 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
• 1/2 cup whole-wheat four
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon honey
• 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, plus 2 Tbsp. (optional)
• 2 medium tomatoes, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
How to Make It
1.Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter an 11-by-7-inch glass baking dish.
2.Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1¼ teaspoons salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and cayenne, if desired, in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, and honey until combined. Pour buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture and stir until nearly combined. Fold in ¾ cup cheese. Spread batter in baking dish.
3.Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tomato slices, sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cook, undisturbed, until tomatoes begin to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully turn tomatoes with tongs and cook 1 minute more. Transfer to baking dish, arranging on top of batter. Pour any juices from skillet over tomatoes. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese, if desired.
4.Bake until cornbread is golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in baking dish on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.