READY IN: 30mins
Ingredients (Serves 8-10)
• 1 quart half-and-half cream
• 1 1⁄2 cups freshly-grated parmesan cheese
• 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
• 1 1⁄4 teaspoons white pepper
• 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
• 1 dash nutmeg
• 6 ounces farfelle bow tie pasta, cooked according to package directions
• 2 cups water
• 1 bunch broccoli (tops only, cut into bite-sized pieces)
• 3⁄4 cup butter
• 3⁄4 cup flour
• 3 cups boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
• 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
• 3 large garlic cloves, minced (or 1/2 Tbsp Minced Garlic)
1. In a heavy stockpot over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in butter for 2-3 minutes; add flour and cook, stirring, for another 2-3 minutes until bubbly; gradually whisk in chicken broth and half & half; cook, stirring frequently, until thickened.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, add water to broccoli and bring just to boiling (the broccoli should be only partially cooked and not soft) then remove from heat; do not drain cooking water from broccoli.
3. Add parmesan cheese to soup-base in stockpot; cook over low heat, stirring, just until cheese is melted; add cooked broccoli along with its cooking water, chicken, seasonings, and bow tie pasta to the stockpot; heat through.
4. NOTES: 6 ounces bow tie pasta equals 2 1/4 cups before cooking and 3 cups diced chicken breast equals 1 ½ pounds before cooking. Also, decrease the salt by half if you happen to substitute full-sodium chicken broth in this recipe.