Just because you have a gluten intolerance, doesn’t mean you cant enjoy some delicious waffles. These gluten free pumpkin spice waffles will have you coming back for seconds. Try to control yourself……
- ½ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ cup vanilla-flavor whey protein powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¼ cup sugar (see Tips)
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin puree (see Tips)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sugar-free maple syrup (optional)
- Frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed (optional)
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
- Lightly coat waffle baker with cooking spray. Preheat a waffle baker on high (the waffle baker needs to be well heated to avoid sticking). Preheat oven to 200°F. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet; place in oven while it’s preheating.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine gluten-free all-purpose flour, whey protein powder, coconut flour, flaxseed meal, sugar, arrowroot, baking powder, the 2 teaspoons cinnamon, the baking soda, and ginger.
- In a large bowl whisk together almond milk, pumpkin, egg whites, grapeseed oil, and vanilla. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture; stir until well mixed. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until batter thickens.
- Spoon a scant ¼ cup of the batter into each section of the waffle baker; spread batter to cover grids. Close lid quickly; do not open until done. Bake according to manufacturer’s directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid; transfer waffle to wire rack in oven. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve warm. If desired, serve with syrup, dessert topping, and/or additional cinnamon.
- Tips: For a sugar substitute, choose from Splenda Sugar Blend, C&H Light Sugar Blend, or Truvia Sugar Blend. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to ¼ cup sugar. Per Serving with Substitute: Same as above, except 183 cal., 21 g carb. (6 g sugars). Exchanges: 0 carb.
- For best results, use a thick, canned pumpkin such as Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value brand. If needed to remove excess moisture, spread the pumpkin puree onto a few layers of paper towels; top with several more paper towels and press gently.
- Serving size: 2 (4-inch) square waffles ( ¼ cup batter per waffle) each
- Per serving: 184 calories; 6 g fat(1 g sat); 6 g fiber; 26 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 17 mcg folate; 13 mg cholesterol; 11 g sugars; 1 mg vitamin C; 212 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 357 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1½
- Exchanges: ½ Vegetables, 1 Starch, ½ Other Carb, 1½ Lean Meat, 1 Fat