It’s the classic Italian dish we all love! Baking versus frying helps lighten the meal, while holding onto all that juicy flavor. Topped with fresh basil and cheeses to guarantee mouthwatering results. Serves well over pasta or with a crisp, leafy salad.
- 4 boneless, skinless half chicken breasts
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup provolone cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 230 degrees C.
- Place the chicken breasts in resealable freezer bags. Using the smooth side of a meat mallet, firmly pound the chicken to about 1/2 inch. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place eggs in medium bowl, beat the eggs and set to the side.
- In a separate bowl, mix bread crumbs and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the chicken breasts coating both sides.
- Place the chicken breasts in the bowl with the beaten eggs. Pour in the breadcrumb and cheese mixture until chicken is evenly covered. Set the chicken breasts to the side.
- On a large skillet, heat up 1 cup of olive oil on medium high. Cook the chicken for about 2 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
- Place the chicken breasts in an oven safe baking dish, top each breast evenly with tomato sauce, then layer with the mozzarella cheese, basil, and provolone cheese. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on the top and then drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake chicken breasts in oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Using a thermometer, check that the inside of the chicken has reached at least 74 degrees C.