Dates provide all the sweetness you need for these no-bake energy bars. Each square serves up a hearty dose of protein—thanks to peanut butter and peanuts—as well as fiber from rolled oats. Kids will love the chewy bites with crunchy nuts.
- ¾ cup chopped Medjool dates
- 1 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- ¾ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Soak dates in hot water to cover in a medium bowl for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving the soaking water.
- Meanwhile, line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving extra hanging over 2 sides. Lightly coat the parchment with cooking spray.
- Combine the soaked dates, peanut butter, oats and salt in a food processor; process until very finely chopped and starting to clump together. If the mixture seems dry, add a little of the reserved soaking water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Transfer to the medium bowl and stir in peanuts. Spread the mixture evenly and firmly into the prepared pan.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on Medium (50%) until melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Spread the chocolate evenly over the oat mixture. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. Remove from the pan by lifting the overhanging parchment. Cut into 16 squares.
- Serving size: 1 square
- Per serving: 203 calories; 13 g fat(3 g sat); 3 g fiber; 17 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 8 mcg folate; 0 cholesterol; 11 g sugars; 3 g added sugars; 14 IU vitamin A; 0 vitamin C; 12 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 90 mg sodium; 131 mg potassium