For many people, eating healthy or perhaps sticking to a particular eating regime like the keto diet can become a little overwhelming and complicated. Another struggle for most is finding time to take the extra effort when it comes to what we are putting in our mouths. With a little planning, you can make healthy, delicious and nutritious meals just like this one without spending hours in the kitchen.
Whether you are cooking for the whole family or if it’s just preparing a few basic snacks, stocking both your fridge and pantry with the right foods will save you a lot of time and hassle. We suggest you have a wide, yet simple variety of whole, unprocessed foods available to you at all times. Lean meats, fish, veggies, herbs, eggs, nuts, seeds, spices and coconut milk are all great staple items to have stocked. With these items on hand, meals like this Quick and Easy Coconut Curry become a hassle-free mid-week meal.
Food prep at the beginning of the week is also a really good idea. For instance, cook up a large batch of chicken breasts and store in individual serves either in the fridge or freezer. This will save so much cooking time during the week when you a throwing a meal together. You can do this with other protein sources too such as hard-boiling eggs and having them ready for an on the go snack.
Vegetables are even easier to prep ahead of time. Grate or chop your vegetables for the next couple of days and store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
These simple tips and tricks will go along way in developing life long healthy habits and is the key to creating quick and easy healthy meals.
1 Tbsp Butter
1/2 Lg Onion, peeled and finely diced
1 Green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
2 Garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp Ginger, minced or finely grated
¾ tsp Turmeric
¾ tsp Ground cardamom
1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
400 ml Coconut milk
1 tsp Lemon zest
½ med Cauliflower, finely chopped
1 Lg Zucchini, chopped or grated
3 Yellow squash, chopped
1 Cup Cooked chicken, shredded
1/4 Cup Coconut cream
1/4 Cup Coriander leaves
- In a large heavy based pan melt the butter over a low heat.
- Add the onion, chilli, garlic and ginger, cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the cardamom, turmeric and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant
- Add the coconut milk, lemon rind and all vegetables. Simmer gently, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked shredded chicken and the coconut cream and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until chicken is heated through.
- Just prior to serving top curry with roasted cashews and coriander leaves, slightly stirring them in.
- Divide amongst serving bowls, serve on top of cauliflower rice if you wish.