• 2 tbsp mayonnaise
• Juice of ½ lemon
• ½ jar roasted red peppers
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 4 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• Handful grated mozzarella
• 1 red onion, sliced into rings
• 4 wholemeal buns or potato rolls
• A few handfuls of lettuce, rocket or any green salad leaves
*Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, red peppers and garlic. (If you want a uniformly red mayo then puree the lot for a few seconds in a food processor.)
*Heat a griddle pan (a frying pan will do). Rub the mushrooms with the olive oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Place the mushrooms in the pan and top them with the mozzarella.
*Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the mushrooms are fully cooked. While the mushrooms are cooking, fry the onions in another pan until browned and toast the buns, either under the grill or in a toaster.
*Place each mushroom in a bun and top with greens, fried onions, mushrooms and the red pepper mayo. Veggie burger recipe, done.